District 20 —California State AssemblyNovember 8, 2016 —California General Election
California State AssemblyDistrict 20
Share This Page
About this office
- Reducing California's and the world's greenhouse gas footprint in a way that strengthens our economy.
- Increasing funding for and and improving our educational outcomes at all levels.
- Making it easier for businesses to start, grow, and stay in California.
As the oldest of seven children growing up near Boston, Bill started taking responsibility at an early age. Bill excelled in school and became an Eagle Scout.
After earning his Ph.D. in Astrophysics from Columbia at the age of 24, Bill joined NASA as a research scientist and supervised one of the first studies of climate change: the Goddard Institute Climate Model.
From there, Bill worked in the computer industry in Silicon Valley before settling into a career at the Lawrence Livermore National Lab (LLNL). Teaching physics at Columbia, Caltech and UC Davis helped Bill formulate his lifelong interest in education.
Bill has a strong record of public service, beginning with his tenure as PTA president while his children attended Hayward public schools. Since moving to Hayward in 1978, Bill served the community as President of Hayward Friends of the Library and Chair, Hayward Library Commission. He is a Member of Hayward Rotary, Hayward Area Historical Society.
Bill served from 2004-12 on the Hayward City Council. While on the Council, Bill served on the Board of Bay Area Water Supply and Conservation Agency, and the Hayward Area Shoreline Planning Agency. While on the city council, Bill has been dedicated to revitalizing Hayward through promoting jobs and safe and clean neighborhoods.
In the assembly, Bill has stressed simplifying regulations and streamlining the regulatory processes for individuals and businesses while still protecting workers, consumers, and the environment. He is dedicated to achieving the greenhouse reduction values of AB32 in a way that achieves affordable and reliable energy.
Bill on Assembly Public Safety committee and has served as chair. In this role, he was dedicated to reducing the crime rate in California by reducing the recidivism rate and improving methods of policing.
Bill has been a union member for 30 years and has served on the board of CWA local 9119, which has over 10,000 members at all the University of California Campuses.
Bill and his wife Laurel moved to the Hayward area in 1978 and have been married for over 42 years. They raised two children who attended Hayward public schools and the University of California.
- Bill Harrison, Mayor City of Fremont
- Mayor Barbara Halliday, Mayor, City of Hayward
- Pat Gacoscos, Council Member, Union City Council
- Bill Lockyer, CA State Attorney General, CA State Treasurer, CA State Senate President Pro Tem, All Posts Retired
- Bob Wieckowski, CA State Senator representing most of 20th Assembly District
- California Teachers Association
- California Federation of Teachers
- Good Government Now, PAC of the Hayward Chamber of Commerce
- BGG, PAC of the Fremont Chamber of Commerce
- Building and Construction Trades Council of Alameda County
- CAL FIRE
- Equality California
- Hayward Mobilehome Owners Association
- Alameda Labor Council
- California Labor Federation, AFL-CIO
- Hayward Area Democratic Club
- Tri-Cities Democratic Forum
Below are the top contributors that gave money to support the candidate(s).
I am proud to be your locally elected Assemblymember in Sacramento. I have successfully fought for increased funding for public schools, colleges, and universities to better prepare Californians to compete for 21st Century jobs. I have passed legislation to reduce red tape and make it easier for businesses to start, grow, and stay in California. And I have supported local fire and police services by stopping state raids on local government funds. I am honored to have the endorsement of hundreds of local elected and community leaders, and a broad coalition of organizations representing nurses, firefighters, teachers, police officers, environmentalists, business leaders and working families. As the only scientist in the State Assembly, I am applying my technical and analytical expertise in Sacramento to resolve some of California’s most complex problems. I am a leader on energy and environmental issues, particularly in strictly regulating fracking and fighting climate change. As Chair of the Assembly Public Safety Committee, I am working for safer communities, improving the Amber Alert system, and increasing protections for victims of human trafficking, domestic violence and sexual assault. My goal is helping citizens, not special interests. Please let me continue my fight this year to increase our grossly under-funded UC and Cal State higher education systems and push for better ways to prosecute criminals and protect victims. Join teachers, nurses, firefighters, police officers, environmentalists, business leaders and local citizens in reelecting me, Bill Quirk, to continue serving you. Thank you.
For more information go to: http://www.reelectbillquirk.com/
- Improve transportation, ease traffic along major highways, and expand BART services
- Improve school curriculum to help students to meet the challenges of a changing economy and labor demand
- Encourage business development that will promote job growth
Luis has resided in Union City for over 20 years with his wife Leanna and together they have raised 3 children who attended public school there. He was born in Nicaragua to a Chinese father and a Nicaraguan mother, and has worked overseas to negotiate foreign investment and trade arrangements involving three nations.
Luis is currently a senior loan officer for one the largest non-depository lenders in the country. He has been involved in mortgage lending for over 25 years with responsibilities in management and sales. In his current position, Luis meets with individuals and families, as he says, “to help them evaluate and select the mortgage that best fits their needs and allows them to achieve the American dream of home ownership.”
Luis has also been an independent insurance consultant for over 7 years, working with consumers and business owners review and choosing insurance policies to protect their assets and families.
Luis’ professional education and training includes holding licenses in mortgage lending; property, casualty, life and health insurance; and real estate brokerage. He graduated from Georgetown University with a degree in Business Administration.
In his time away from his professional occupations, Luis has served as a volunteer with the James Logan High School forensics program, Union City American Little League, and public schools attended by his children. Luis enjoys exercising at the city-owned Mark Green Sports Center and spending time with his wife, children, extended family and friends. He regularly attends mass service at St. Joseph’s Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing in Hayward.
In addition, Luis has been a member of the following organizations:
· California Association of Mortgage Professionals (CAMP)
· National Hispanic Organization of Real Estate Associates (NHORA)
· Asian Real Estate Association of America (AREAA)
· National Ethics Association (NEA)
· Rotary International
· Nicarao Relief Fund
- Mark Green, Mayor of Union City(1993 - 2012)
- Dr. Tommie Lindsey Jr., Teacher And Founder of James Logan High School Speech & Debate
- California Chinese American Republican Association
- Jaime Patino, Chair of The Commission for Human Relations of Union City
Below are the top contributors that gave money to support the candidate(s).